I suppose my previous posts have not been as fair in showing what my real experiances have been like, while I am having a good time and learning a lot, it has been difficult. I´ve been sick for this past week which just plain sucks and living in a foreign country is very different than traveling through it. There´s kind of just a constant stress of language barriers and the uncomfortable-ness of being in an unknown city. I´m constantly stressed about making sure I know where I am so I can find my way home at night, which is difficult considering I just don´t plain see as well, and stuff just looks different in and out of the light. As many of you know, part of latin american culture involves the cat calling. It is somewhat different here, they don´t whistle as much or say derogatory things, but they will say stuff that can put me a litte on edge sometimes, espeically when i´m alone at night! Don´t worry though, i´m safe! Being blonde just doesn´t help! I just stand out, like i´m wearing a sign that says ´turista´and they´ll try to rip me off in stores or think i don´t understand when they use fowl language, not to mention just constantly being stared at!
There´s the obvious language barrier, but I think it´s amost harder sometimes that I do understand some of it and can speak it. It requires so much energy to listen and understand each word, then to plan out everything you want to say and use correct grammar, pronounciation, and the correct colloquialisms for that particular area or even age group. There´s just a lot of stress involoved in living in a foreign country.
But what í´m beginning to understand is that I suppose this is not only what thousands of immigrants experiance every day but in much more difficult situations like work and school, but that this is kinda what life should feel like to us as Christians. We are all strangers in this world and how different it is to actually feel like one. When i´m at home, or in Wheaton I feel like I belong and that is where I should be, but like what Peter talks about in 1 Peter 1 vs 17 we are to live like strangers in this world. As Christians we should always feel a little out of place, the world shouldn´t be a all in all comfortable place. Not to say that it´s wrong to feel at home or comfortable in a caring and loving environment. But at home I too easily become apart of this world in every way that It´s easy to fall into complacentcy in my faith and how it plays out in my words and actions.
I´m glad that I can be learning this, but that doesn´t make it easy. It has been difficult, but I´m happy to be here and very blessed to have this time. Keep posting, It´s really nice to hear from home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Maybe you should consider dyeing your hair? If that doesn't work maybe you should show the guys a picture of Kris and me...actually, that might make things worse.
I'm glad to hear you're keeping a good attitude about things. Kristofer is watching Bob Sagget on TV right now because he's too lazy to lean over and change the channel...I'm not sure exactly what to say about it, except this is probably an extraordinary demonstration of laziness. Whenever things get bad, remember that you could be too lazy to do anything other than watch the Bob.
Love you.
I really like your revelation about being a stranger on the world as a Christian, and how Argentina reminds you of it. How true it is that I make my earthly home too comfortable and depend on myself too much to remember where my true home is. Thanks for the reminder
John
I appreciate how easily you can be transparent about how difficult things can be at times. At the same time I am encouraged by your reliance on God and how you see him working in things. He is blessing your life and you are blessing the lives around you, so hang in there!!
P.S. I am exploring ways to ship Wrigley to you. Maybe you new "family" can house break her!!
Reading your blog brought back strong memories and emotions. I remember many times talking with you about how we as Christians SHOULD feel like we don't belong...you know, square pegs, round holes, etc. So, I feel a bit nostalgic as I listen to my lovely daughter experiencing this real-life issue, up close. Real close. And that makes me also remember how we have prayed for you your whole life to be spirit-led, spirit-filled, and now especially, spirit-protected. So, I'm asking God tonight (right now, in fact) to reassign your "drinking fountain angel" (making sure he's had a crash-course in Spanish) and send him down to Argentine way and become your angel de calle. Hey, we know it happens. God just likes to hear us ask. Sleep tight. Always remember, I love you more than tons. Mom xoxo
I am so excited for what you are the learning and the deep thing that God is revealing to you. I can see how things definitely could be a struggle and yet you choose to see how God could be teaching you something through those circumstances..I am so glad I know you! I will be praying for you my dear! I miss you and am excited to hear about your future endeavors! Keep persevering my love!!!
Post a Comment